On Wednesday, Clarence House has announced that Prince Charles has tested positive for COVID-19. The Duchess of Cornwall has been tested too, and fortunately she does not have the virus.
They are now self-isolating at their home in Birkhall, Scotland, where they travelled to on Sunday. Prince Charles is said to be “working from home” while he recovers from the symptoms.
He is displaying mild symptoms “but otherwise remains in good health”, a spokesman said. The Prince was then tested on Monday, with the results coming through late on Tuesday night.
The full statement reads: “The Prince of Wales has tested positive for Coronavirus,” the spokesman said.
“He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual. The Duchess of Cornwall has also been tested but does not have the virus.
“In accordance with Government and medical advice, the Prince and the Duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland. The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire where they met the criteria required for testing.
“It is not possible to ascertain from whom the Prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks.”
The Prince of Wales is the first member of the British Royal family to have tested positive for coronavirus. Last week it was revealed that Prince Albert of Monaco became the second royal to test positive for the virus. He was, was in the same room as Charles at a WaterAid event in London on March 10.
A week earlier, the Archduke of Austria Karl von Habsburg, became the first royal to be diagnosed with COVID-19.