As it was reported, Prince Harry and Meghan have left Canada and moved to California amid the coronavirus pandemic. In response to the reports, the US president Donald Trump said in a tweet the United States would not pay for the royal couple’s security.
He tweeted: “I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen & the United Kingdom.
“It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada.
“Now they have left Canada for the U.S. however, the U.S. will not pay for their security protection. They must pay!”
They have been living in Vancouver after announcing their decision to step down as senior working royals earlier this year. The family would be closer to Doria Ragland, Meghan’s mom, by living in Los Angeles.
The US and UK have a longstanding agreement to provide security protection to diplomats and members of the Royal Family when visiting the country. But, since Harry and Meghan have decided to step down as senior Royals, they might lose this privilege.
Donald Trump tweet comes just a few days before Prince Harry and Meghan officially split from the family on March 31. The Queen, Prince Charles, Prince Harry and Prince William decided that the couple will no longer carry out official duties on behalf of the Queen, will not use their HRH titles, and have not been able to copyright their Sussex Royal brand.
As from April 1 the couple will be represented through their UK foundation team.
A source said they had been undertaking meetings “as part of their ongoing work to establish a new non-profit organisation. The details of this new organisation will be shared later in the year.”
Prince Harry and Meghan attended their last event as a senior royal earlier this month at the annual Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey.